Thanks be to Mill at I Play All The Games for nominating me for a Sunshine Blogger Award. Unlike other fake awards which are more about personal gain, the SBA’s goal is to promote other blogs, while simultaneously promoting your own. Neat!
Up until Mill’s nomination, I had never heard of the SBA, so I’m not sure I’m doing this right. If you don’t see any posts for the next couple weeks, please presume the SBA police are holding me hostage in a dark, cold cell with “Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows” on infinite repeat.
The rules, I think:
- Thank the person who nominated you (done and done).
- Answer the questions given to you (not quite done).
- Nominate at least 3 bloggers (I hope I know 3 bloggers).
- Write questions for your nominees to answer (with great sunshine comes great responsibility).
Before I answer Mill’s questions, respect must be given. If you like lighthearted chronogaming, please follow I Play All The Games. His reviews are low-key, funny, and enjoyable, and he’s literally playing all the games, including systems that sound made up like the Commodore Pet and the RCA Studio II.
Onto the questions.
1. If you could erase one video game franchise from existence, which would you choose and why?
I’m gonna cheat a bit and say Kingdom Hearts. I don’t want to erase the franchise, but I do want the nonsensical story and non-Disney characters to be removed from the games entirely. Have it be about Mickey exploring all the Disney worlds or something, just stop shoehorning confusing emo garbage on top of my childhood.
2. “This sucks but I still love it!” What is your gaming guilty pleasure?
I try not to love bad games, but I do have a soft spot for early 3D Sonic games, like the Sonic Adventure games and Sonic Heroes.
3. Console or PC? Who is the real master race?
If we’re talking new games, then PC, especially in 2017. Unless you need Nintendo games or Sony’s first-party stuff, there’s no reason to own a console anymore.
4. Western or eastern developers? Who is putting out better content?
I actually think both sides crank out great work on a regular basis, though I do prefer the often weird and quirky Eastern stuff.
5. What is the one thing you hate about your favorite game?
So my favorite game is Earthbound. I loved it back in ’95 when I first played it, and there’s still nothing else quite like it today. If I could say anything bad about it, it’s that the second half isn’t nearly as memorable as the first. Otherwise, it’s damn near perfect.
My nominees for the Sunshine Blogger Award are…
TJ Kya’s goal to write about all the RPGs she can stomach is both admirable and crazy. There are other “play through every RPG” blogs out there, but her blend of detail and humor is unmatched.
Jed Pressgrove is one of the great unsung game critics today. His reviews run the gamut of AAA, indie, and retro, and are insightful, thought-provoking, and beautifully defiant.
Alex (whose last name escapes me, please forgive me, Alex!) is the rare blogger who can criticize American society while also challenging us to be better than we are. Post topics range from his own personal struggles to politics, religion, music, etc. His writing is refreshing in its optimism and purity. I truly wish there were more writers like him.
And lastly… THE QUESTIONS for the nominated bloggers.
- What compels you to write?
- Outside of blogging, what are you most passionate about?
- Are millennials really as awful as everyone says?
- A really great cup of coffee or a really great beer?
- What’s one thing about yourself that you’d like people to know?